Friday, March 14, 2008

Oh, the drama

So it's the end of my super-crappy on-call day and I am just tickled friggin' pink to be working tomorrow as well and I get a call from daycare. The manager is calling me at 4:40 to tell me that Jack has fallen and may need stitches. One of the teachers thought it would be a good idea to mop the floor early (I imagine so that she could go home early) and Jack decided to walk-on-water. He ended up falling on his face, hitting his chin and smashing his teeth against his upper lip. This is ironic since I had just discussed a similar situation with JP's cousin, Beth. So daycare said they couldn't stop the bleeding, that he was upset, and that they would pay any medical bills that we incurred. When daycare is telling you they'll pay your medical bills--it MUST be bad.
So JP has the van and takes off to daycare to get the boy and bring him back to the clinic so that Dr. B can take a look at his mouth and decide if Jack needs stitches. When he got there he caught the tail end of the teacher getting chewed out for mopping with kids in the room. JP said his teacher was in tears and had been for a while. She would hardly let go of Jack and just kept crying and apologizing. Now if you know JP then you know he's a big softie and this would usually break him down. This is NOT the case when it comes to Jack. He plucked him out of her arms and walked away. He's better at that than me.
By the time they made it to the clinic Jack was happy and no longer bleeding. Right underneath his nose is a small cut and inside of his upper lip is torn. you know the flap of skin that connects your lip to your gums? That thing was torn. Dr. Badem said he did not need stitches just a little Motrin for that fat lip.
I nearly called daycare to tell them, no worries-Jack is fine. Then I decided that maybe they need to think/worry about this a bit over the weekend. I never called them but JP and I have decided to have a meeting with them on Monday.
We love the teachers, Jack LOVES the teachers. Mistakes happen and it could have happened on our watch as well. However, this was a dumb mistake and we don't want this to happen to any other children there. There is NO REASON that the afternoon teachers can not WAIT to mop the floors at 6pm when the last kid is gone. Children tear up and down those halls all day and it's just a matter of time until some other kid gets hurt. The teachers just need to suck it up and work until 6:10pm!!!

Again, I would like to make it clear that his teachers are great and I know they love Jack. Even this teacher is one of my faves, she just wasn't using ALL of her brain. I like her even more when I heard how upset she was and how she barely let JP have Jack. He said that she hadn't put him down once since he fell and she just cried trying to take care of him.

So the fat lipped boy is in bed and I am heading that way too. Then, ugh, work again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.